Using the Google Mail web interface, users can create filters to sort and organize incoming email messages. Filters can be used to label, archive, delete, or forward messages automatically. To begin, a user should:
- Log into their Google Mail account at https://email.umich.edu.
- Click the gear icon in the upper-right next to their firstname.lastname@example.org email address, and select Settings.
- Click on the Filters tab at the top of the page.
- Click the Create a new filter link.
- Enter the filter criteria in the appropriate field(s). For example; From - email@example.com:
- Click Create filter with this search.
- Next, enter the action(s) the filter should take on messages that meet the criteria:
- Additionally, they can select Also apply filter to # message(s) matching conversations.
- Click Create Filter button.
Searching for messages based on From, To, Attachments, etc. is quite easy...once you get used to the search options. For information on using Google's Mail search options, refer to the Google web page on Using advanced search.
Related Google Support Links