With Google Calendar, faculty can give another user (i.e. an assistant) access to their calendar, including the ability to schedule and edit events. This is the recommended process for giving others access to a Google Calendar. Faculty should never share their password. Access to U-M Google Accounts uses UMICH.EDU Kerberos passwords; the same password used for most online University services such as Wolverine Access.
To delegate access to a calendar, the faculty member should:
- Sign in at http://calendar.google.com/a/umich.edu.
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.
- Click the Calendars tab.
- In the Sharing column for the calendar, click Share this calendar or Shared: Edit settings (whichever appears).
- In the Share with specific people box, type the firstname.lastname@example.org email address of the person who will delegate the calendar.
- Click Add person.
- In the drop-down box under Permission Settings, select Make changes AND manage sharing.
- Click Save.
Now the delegate can sign into Google Calendar and manage the faculty member's calendar. For example, the delegate can follow these steps to create a new event:
- Sign into Google Calendar (default view is the delegate's calendar).
- Verify that the faculty member's calendar shows up in the My Calendars list.
- In the drop-down list by the faculty member's calendar, select Create a new event on this calendar.
Events created on the calendar by the delegate will appears as Created by: Delegate Name for Faculty Name.
What a delegate can and cannot do
A delegate can do the following to a calendar they've been granted access to:
- Respond to event invitations
- Create new events
- Modify existing events
- Manage sharing of the calendar, if their permission is set to Make changes AND manage sharing
- Subscribe to notifications about events on the calendar, such as changes to events, canceled events, and invitation responses
Note: Private appointments are visible to a delegate that has full access to the calendar.
A delegate cannot do the following:
- Change the Calendar account settings, such as language, time zone, or automatically adding invitations
- Access the faculty member's contacts when inviting guests to events (delegates can only access contacts via delegated Google Mail)
- Use Task lists in the Calendar account
Related Google Support Links